Opportunities to bring Christmas Cheer to people in Jackson County Community:
The Jackson County Department of Social Services (DSS) is seeking Christmas sponsors for children in Foster Care. Please sponsor a child in one of two ways.
1.Contact Kim Poteet, Social Worker at DSS, 828-587-2058, to request a list of needs and wants for any number of foster children that you prefer, purchase the items and deliver them to DSS unwrapped.
2. Provide a monetary donation to be used toward the gifts. Please send checks to Jackson County Department of Social Services, 15 Griffin St., Sylva, NC 28779. with Christmas sponsor in the memo line.
2. United Christian Ministries
Every year we collect food items for the annual Christmas food bags for Jackson County School children. UCM’s goal is to pack 450 Christmas bags on December 4 and 5. The goal for Cullowhee UMC is to collect 300 cans of Chicken Noodle Soup for the bags by December 2. Please bring cans to the church office, or if you wish, please donate money and someone will go shop for you. Write a check to the church with soup in the memo line, or donate on the church website and enter an amount in the “Other” box and type in soup. Thank you for your help.
3. Donate to HERE. HERE’s mission is to end homelessness throughout Jackson County by providing temporary emergency shelter, housing focused case management services and short term assistance. Please go to HERE website to learn more and to donate.
4. The Christmas Connection of Jackson County is looking for monetary donations, volunteers, people to buy gifts, and people to sponsor a child/family.
For more information and for a donation link go to Christmas Connection of Jackson County
74 Eastgate Drive, Sylva, NC (physical site)
To mail a check, send to:
Christmas Connection of JacksonCounty
295 Misty Pt.
Cullowhee, NC 28723
or call 828-399-1216 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
5. We need to remember the homebound elderly in our community. Please help collect items for the Jackson County Department on Aging’s Operation Christmas Box. The deadline is November 20th!There are 4 ways to help:
1. Gift wrap empty milk boxes from Ingles for the items.
2. Give a gift box filled with items listed in the flyer below.
3. Play Santa and deliver the boxes.
4. Give a monetary donation and Council on Aging will purchase the items.
Thank you in advance.