If you are a parent of a child in 5th grade or younger, we would love for you to be a part of our children’s ministry. Our children’s ministry is called JOY kids, meaning Jesus, Others, Yourself, because of what Jesus taught us in the book of Matthew when he said, “Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul and mind. This is the first and most important commandment. The second most important commandment is like this one. And it is, Love others as much as you love yourself.” Matthew 22: 37-39. From the scripture, we know it is important to learn the stories of the Bible and what they can teach us AND to do good for people in our church and community (And to also have an insane amount of fun together).
Kathy Yurchak and I are so excited to let you know the opportunities we have for the children and families of our church to gather this fall! **Please note, that you and your child’s safety is very important to us during these uncertain times. In planning, we have tried to choose mostly outdoor activities. When inside, we ask that everyone (students, volunteers, staff, and visitors) wear masks over their nose and mouth. This will not last forever and we are all in this together!
- Nursery care is available every Sunday morning (during both worship services and the Sunday school hour) for newborns, toddlers, and preschool aged children.
- Kindergarten through 5th grade students are invited to meet in the small fellowship hall for Sunday school beginning at 10am with Ms. Scarlette.
- Seasonal and holiday events: Trunk or Treat: Wednesday, October 27th. Paper Bag Christmas: Sunday, December 5th.
- Special worship opportunities: There are a few special Sundays, where children are invited to participate in the worship service. Sunday, August 15th-children are invited to bring their backpacks to the worship service to be blessed for the new school year. Sunday, August 22nd-4th grade students will receive Bibles. Sunday, December 5th-Children will help lead in singing Christmas Carols.
- JOY kids will gather once a month for a time of fun and different service projects. Below is a calendar of what we have planned for the fall. We hope you will join us!
Lots of Love,
Ms. Scarlette and Ms. Kathy
JOY Kids Fall Schedule
- 15th-“Blessings of the Backpacks” Children are invited to bring their backpacks to either worship service, where we will offer a blessing for the children and their backpacks as they begin a new school year.
- 22nd– “4th grade Bibles” 4th grade children will receive a Bible from their church family.
POOL PARTY at Wally and Anne Bembry’s house (36 Hollow Lane, Sylva) from 12:30-2:30pm. A pizza lunch will also be served!
More details about Pool Party:
This is a friendly reminder about the pool party on Sunday at the Bembry’s house (36 Hollow Lane, Sylva) at 12:30. We are providing pizza, sides and drinks. The Bembry’s also have a changing area/bathroom accessible to the pool area for our group to use as needed.
Please RSVP by Friday, August 20, if you are able to join us!
We hope to see you there!
Director of Christian Education
- 12th-pack Agape Christmas Boxes.
- 24th-Darnell Farms hayride and pumpkin pickin’ 1:30-3:30pm.
- 27th-TRUNK OR TREAT 5:30-7:00pm.
- 14th-1:30-3:30pm. We will create big poster board signs to cheer up the residents at our local nursing home Skyland Care Center.
- 5th-Singing Carols and “Paper Bag Christmas” at the combined 10am worship service. We will enjoy yummy cookies after the service!
- 10th-Movie Night in the Wesley from 5:30-7:30pm.
We thank you for all of your prayers and support. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me via email, scarlette pless