How to donate to help our neighbors in Haywood County following the devastation left by Tropical Storm Fred:

First, please pray for comfort and well being for the people suffering from the devastating floods.

Right now they need money.

Please write a check to Cullowhee UMC with “Fred” in the memo line.

Or Donate online from the Cullowhee UMC website, in the UMCOR Disaster Relief: Western NC

Or Donate directly to UMCOR Disaster Relief Western North Carolina

UMCOR(United Methodist Committee on Relief) responds to natural or civil disasters of such magnitude that they overwhelm a community’s ability to recover on its own. Through UMCOR, United Methodists extend loving care to people within the United States. When disaster strikes, it is local churches that provide the first response to their communities. This basic understanding—that disaster response is local—forms the foundation for UMCOR’s US disaster training and response. When responding to a disaster in the United States, UMCOR provides training, financial assistance, expertise, community collaboration to churches and partners making them more resilient to disasters. No funds go toward administrative costs.  

Some people have asked about sending work teams to Haywood County. Cullowhee UMC follows the guidance from the United Methodist Disaster Relief. They will tell the Methodist Churches when work teams are allowed to go in to help. It is not safe for our work teams yet because the work now consists of Rescue and Recovery. We will go when we are allowed to muckout houses and start the rebuilding process.