Middle School Youth group is for youth in grades 6-8. Highs School Youth group is for youth in grades 9-12. Any youth in the community are welcome to attend and do not need to be a member of Cullowhee UMC. We encourage the youth to invite friends. Scarlette Pless and Alena Strahan lead the Middle School, and Julia Trantham, Ryan Pless and Paul Heckert lead the High School.
Both groups meet regularly on Sundays 4-6:00 p.m. for activities and service work. Occasionally, they have special activities, and they may meet earlier on Sunday. In the summer, a mission trip is usually planned.
Middle School and High School Youth Schedule Spring 2019
Dear Youth and Families,
We are so excited for 2019 and all that God has in store for us! Our hope is to provide opportunities of fun, spiritual growth, service and study so we will grow as individuals and as a youth family. We are excited to kick off the New Year with our students!
Alena Strahan, Scarlette Pless and Julia Trantham.
- 13th-Night of Fun to Sky Zone. We will leave the church at 3pm and return by 7pm. We will stop for dinner on the way back. Please bring $12 to jump and money for a fast food dinner. RSVP required.
- 27th-Youth 4-6pm; Night of Spiritual Growth
- 8th-10th-Winter Retreat to Boone/Blowing Rock area. More details to follow.
- 24th-Confirmation class during the Sunday school hour begins!
Youth 4-6pm; Night of Mystery Mission
- 3rd-Confirmation Class during Sunday school hour. Youth 4-6pm; Night of Study
- 24th-Confirmation Class during Sunday school hour. Youth 4-6pm; Night of Fun
- 31st-Confirmation Class during Sunday school hour. Youth 4-6pm; Night of Spiritual Growth
- 5-7th Confirmation Retreat
- 12th-14th Middle School Spring Retreat, more information to follow closer to time
- 21st-Easter Sunday, confirmands recognized during worship
- 28th-Closing Youth Party at East Laporte from 5-7pm
Adventure Camp 2018
Wilderness Trail Adventure for High School and Middle School Youth
A group of youth attended Wilderness Trail, June 17-23, located near Damascus, VA. with the near by Appalachian Trail. Wilderness Trail is a backpacking ministry that takes people out of their comfort zone and places them in the beauty of God’s creation. The youth hiked the AT during the day carrying everything they needed in a pack, set up a different camp each night and then hiked to a new camp the following day.
The Wilderness Trail dates for 2019 are June 27-July 3.
2018 Mission Trips
Cross Missions Trip for Middle School Youth August 5-10
The Middle School Youth, led by Scarlette Pless, will be volunteering with Cross Missions, a ministry through Myers Park Presbyterian Church (right next to Queens College) in the Myers Park area of Charlotte. They will be housed at the church and each day will work at two different non-profits in Charlotte. Scarlette took Middle School Youth on this mission while at a previous employment position. The youth found the experience life changing and a huge blessing to build relationships with each other and the homeless of Charlotte. The trip will be August 5-10. For more information, contact Scarlette Pless.
High School Mission Trip went to Moore Haven, Florida June 10-15 and worked on homes damaged by Hurricane Irma.